This release covers the use of police powers under terrorism and subsequent legislation in Great Britain on a quarterly basis up to the year ending 30 September 2020. It also covers arrests for terrorist-related activity under other legislation such as the Police and Criminal Evidence Act (PACE).
The statistics in this release draw on a range of data sources. The Arrests and outcomes section contains data provided by the National Counter Terrorism Police Operations Centre (NCTPOC) and includes statistics for Great Britain on the:
- number of arrests for terrorist-related activity and outcomes (such as charges and convictions) following such arrests
- number of charges and convictions broken down by legislation used
- gender, age, ethnicity and nationality of those arrested, charged and convicted.
The Court proceedings section uses data from the Crown Prosecution Service Counter Terrorism Division (CPS CTD) and includes statistics for England and Wales on the:
- number of persons proceeded against by CPS CTD for terrorism-related offences
- number of persons that have been prosecuted and convicted broken down by the legislation used
- sentence length of those convicted for terrorism-related offences
The Terrorist prisoners section uses data from Her Majestys Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS) and the Scottish Prison Service (SPS) and includes statistics for Great Britain on the number of persons released from custody by sentence length. Data on the ideology, ethnicity, nationality and religion of persons in custody have not been included in this publication as ongoing changes are being made to the way terrorist prisoners are classified. As we are unable to currently publish data on a consistent basis, we have suspended publication of this data while we work with data suppliers to produce revised figures. We anticipate resumption of the release of this data in the next edition of this publication.
The Other police powers under the Terrorism Act 2000 (TACT 2000) section uses data provided by the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) and the National Counter Terrorism Policing Headquarters (NCTPHQ), and includes statistics on the:
- number of stops and searches carried out by MPS under s.43 of TACT 2000
- number of stops and searches carried out by police under s.47a of TACT 2000
- number of examinations and subsequent detentions made in Great Britain under Schedule 7 to TACT 2000
- data on goods examinations, strip searches and on refusals of requests to postpone questioning (usually to enable an individual to consult a solicitor) under Schedule 7 to TACT 2000