Amendment 7 to the Code of Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seafarers
(COSWP) 2015 edition provides updates on terminology and specific changes to Chapters 15, 17, 26 and 27.
COSWP provides guidance on improving health and safety on board vessels and articulates how statutory obligations should be fulfilled. The Code details the regulatory framework for health and safety on board ship, safety management and statutory duties underlying the advice in the Code and the areas that should be covered when introducing a new recruit to the safety procedures on board.
It is a statutory requirement for the current edition of the Code to be carried on board all UK ships, other than fishing vessels and pleasure craft. The Code contains essential health and safety information and it must be made available to any seafarer on board the ship who requests it.
Amendment 7 includes the following updates:
- Throughout – Dangerous (enclosed) spaces now referred to as enclosed spaces
- Chapter 15 - Updated with extra information about enclosed spaces throughout
- Chapter 17 - Additional information about portable ladders
- Chapter 26 - Information added about anchoring and mooring equipment
- Chapter 27 - Additional information about electric vehicles.
The amendment consists of loose-leaf pages that replace select pages from the main edition binder